Saturday, April 23, 2011

Getting Political



The letter that I sent to my state reps, senator, and the governor. Will it do any good? Who knows but I tried my best (just like in Kindergarten) to do something. I sort of believe in the political process.

Here is the gist of my letter:

"I understand the realities of the state budget and know that some tough decisions must be made this year. As a teacher who is helping to support my husband as he goes back to school I would like to see the salary schedule remain unfrozen, the National Board stipend remain intact, and my healthcare benefits not be run by a more costly state run system because these things will make my life more difficult. But I am not choosing to write to you about those things today. I am choosing to write you about class size. If you want to do what is best for students then class size should be something that you fight to protect. I believe that a continued investment in education today will have long term payoff for all in the future because kids will be getting what they need and teachers will be able to help guide them towards success. I urge you to consider keeping class sizes low and at the top of the list of your priorities. Do not suspend I-728."


Washington state public education is in a dire situation. Write to your local representatives about education or about anything. I have gotten a few responses before.

No comments:

Post a Comment