Monday, April 18, 2011

The end of the world as we know it



You may or may not know that Warren loves post-apocalyptic films and books. We spend a great deal of time together and I too have developed a love. I also like to think of it as research for prolonging my life after something bad happens. If you were wanting to gather skills and knowledge about living in a post-apocalyptic world. Here is a list to get you started. *Note: A few of these are as the apocalypse is going down but there are lessons to be learned none the less.

The Stand-Steven King mini-series- Lesson: plagues bring out the worst and best in people.

Blindness- Jose Saramago novel. I don't know that this counts but I have mentally filed it into this genre. This is really about the breakdown of society when things get bad. Lesson: Don't trust anyone!

Idiocracy- it seems dumb but it makes some valid points. I think of it quite a bit when I see people who are doing stupid things--the break down of society if you will. Lesson: Read Books now!

WallE- think about it people are too lazy to care or see what is happening. Lesson: We could be our own undoing (A lot of these have that as the lesson.)

Minority Report-Lesson: Don't hang with Tom Cruise. (I don't think that is really the lesson. I just don't like him.)

The Island-good looking clones to keep you alive forever. Yes! Lesson: Make lots of money to pay for the clones.

The Day After Tomorrow- Lesson: This is what happens when we don't take care of the environment

Children of Men- The book is better than the movie. Lesson: Make friends with a cabin/home off the beaten path.

I, Robot- Lesson: Be nice to your appliances

I am Legend - Lesson: What can I say? Will Smith gets it/Zombies are mean.

Planet of the Apes- an oldy but a goody. Lesson: Don't trust animals. Also, don't watch the Mark Wahlberg version ( I love him but don't kid yourself).

The Road- I think this was going to be/is a movie but I only read the book (kind of a bummer. that is really saying something for this genre)

Zombieland-comedic look at post apocalypse. Bill Murray is in it. Need I say more. Plenty of lessons to be had.

The Happening- this time Mark Wahlberg does get it (although he seems kind of funny to me when he is trying to be serious) Lesson: Plants are not to be trusted either.

The City of Ember and subsequent books- yes, these are children books but they are amazing none the less. Lesson: When faced with darkness don't wait to die. Go out and see what you can find. What do you have to lose? Also, kids are helpful in this area.

The next apocalypse movie that I will be reading: Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment