Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Everything is going so fast


MTV is moving a little fast for me. Not one week after the season finale of The Hills, The City (not just one but two episodes) and Bromance begin. To be honest I wasn't even home and forgot to set the DVR. The DVR saved the day as usual and taped the 5 am showing.
Here is a brief rundown of The City's cast of players.

Whitney- It's the same old Whitney. She is kind of nervous about trusting people. She says trust at least 7 times in the new episodes. I don't blame her at all. She is working in pr for DVF and did a good job at the show for fashion week. She got props from her boss which simultaneously pissed off and intrigued Olivia. It scored her an invite to Olivia's dinner party.

Jay- Musical Australian who Whitney is very into but who seems a little less interested. He would drag himself to a surprise her with a dinner party of socials (see below). Here is something he said that I enjoyed; "I think you would know in my energy if I was telling the truth." Jay will get in the face of Alex (you may remember him as the model that Whitney hung out with in NY when she was still in The Hills). I am not sure about his motivations here. It looks like he could be either a hothead or is just trying to protect his rep. Or perhaps he knows what will get him more airtime on the show and is taking a hint from our friend Spencer.

Erin- So far without a personality. She asks the right questions to help the audience understand what is going on in Whitney's head. Someone at the social party called her a hooker. She also lets Whitney crash on her couch.

Olivia- fake voice (faker sounding than Whitney's), not afraid to blast to get the information, "So why didn't Jay come to the party?" Her friends are really the same. She refers to herself as a social (socialite slang which I fervently dislike Jay called them "rich kids, art dealers' kids"). She can't be all bad. She took Whitney to the Manolo Blahnik event (where she got some signed shoes). Olivia was very pretentious at this event and kept talking about the first pair of Manolos that she got for her deb. She needs to use full words.

This week Kelly Catrone made a guest appearance and was the voice of reason. "Maybe you can't trust both of them (Alex and Jay)." Good point. She also was shocked to hear that Olivia had gotten a job and was perplexed. (How would she mix with Whitney for the show if she didn't have a job at DVF?)

Promo for next week: Will Whitney be a downtown hipster or an uptown social? Nice work MTV.

My only question: Can I host The City Aftershow from my house or will I have to move to Canada? I will be in my closet picking out a strange outfit.

1 comment:

  1. judging from your description, i would posit that erin is the city's answer to lo. which means she will be my favorite (a plot-mover is essential) and also a regular on the city after show. delightful.

    ReplyDelete