Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Paris, I want to go to there.



This week we went to Midnight in Paris, the new Woody Allen film. I loved it. Not just because I enjoy many of the actors in the movie (Rachel McAdams, Owen Wilson, Kathy Bates, etc) but because I love reading/thinking about the writers and artists who lived there in the 20s. My favorite book of all time is A Movable Feast. I love the way that Hemingway writes and enjoyed getting to see him. Although he seemed a little too dark and brooding, different than I had imagined him to be. I mean yes he was an alcoholic and depressed a lot of the time but I felt that this portrayal overdid it. I also am now really interested in reading more about the Fitzgeralds. I know they were quite an interesting pair and I want to read more about their wild lives.

This also tied nicely with the book I just finished, The Paris Wife. It was about Hadley Richardson (Hemingway's first wife) and is historical fiction. I devoured this book and could hardly do anything else besides read this book. I love the idea of what life must have been like for her (and other wive's of successful creative types). I also really enjoyed both of the books written in this style about the ladies in Frank Lloyd Wright's life, Loving Frank and The Women: A Novel. I much preferred Loving Frank but enjoyed both. It is a great way to write because you don't have to know all the facts and can make up a cool/interesting story and feelings for the people we know so little about.

These two things have made me very excited for travel in general and made me wish, again, that I could plan a trip to Paris/ time travel to the 20s.

No comments:

Post a Comment